Remote Learning Resources
We offer an array of resources to support remote learners and to ensure a combination of rigor and flexibility across our educational offerings.
Welcome to the world of remote learning! To help you adjust to your new classroom, we’ve designed a series of resources and guides to get you up to speed. These materials will help you access courses in the liberal arts from the following program areas: Basic Program, Open Enrollment, Writer’s Studio, Visual Arts Education, and free events.
Canvas is the learning platform we use to host our remote classrooms. Once you register for a class, you will access the course by logging in through the canvas page.
A few notes on canvas access:
- Please allow 24-48 hours after your registration for our administrative team to add you to your remote course.
- The first time you register for a remote class with us, you will receive an email invitation to join canvas and set up your login information
- Most of our open enrollment students do not have CNET IDs. Select “Login without a CNET ID” when prompted if this applies to you.
View our Canvas learning guides to learn more
A few days after registering for your course, you will receive an email invitation to the email address you provided at registration.
- The email will come from UChicago Canvas.
- Click on the Get Started button within the email.
View the Canvas Welcome Screen
Once you are on the Canvas site, you will be at the welcome page. It will list which course you have been invited to and give you two options for logging in depending on if you are a returning student or if you need to create an account.
Option One: New Student
If you have never taken an online course before click the “Create My Account” button.
Create My Account
You should see the account creation screen. Your email address should already be in the login form field.
- Please create a password, and write it down so you don’t lose it.
- Select your Time Zone.
- Click on the “I agree to the Acceptable Use Policy box”, and then click Register.
After you have clicked "Register," you should now be on the home page for your course. You are now registered for Canvas and can access all of your course information.
Option Two: Already Have a Canvas Account
If you have taken an online course before, click the “I Have a Canvas Account” button.
This will take you to the Canvas login page which will ask you to login with a CNetID or without a CNetID.
- Choose "Login without a CNetID"
You will be taken to the Login without a CNetID page.
- If your username and password are not automatically populated, enter your username, (which is the email address you used to register with) and the password you created.
- Click the “stay signed in” box so you don’t have to log in again.
- If you forgot your password, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password and try again.)
- Click the log in button.
- You will see the home page for your course. You are now registered for the Canvas site for your new course.
Students with Multiple Courses
If you are taking more than one course, you can click the Dashboard link on the far left menu to see the Dashboard with all the courses that you are taking.
Logging back in
f you get logged out, or have to log out, you can log back in to the Canvas site and start from the Option Two step above.
Step 1: Access the Canvas login page.
Step 2: Click “Login without a cnet ID”
Step 3: Click “forgot password?”
Step 4: Enter your username (email address) and click reset password
Step 5: Check your email for next steps
Finding your course
Once you have successfully changed your password, you can navigate to the Canvas login page to login with your new information. You can access your online meeting room through your course site.
Still not working?
If you can’t login after resetting the password you should email UChicago Canvas Support or call 773.702.9944 for additional help.
Step 1: Log in to Canvas
Log in to Canvas with your username and password.
Step 2: Access your course
Click on your course title to enter the course page. Once you are in your course page, there will be a navigation list of options on the right hand side of your screen, pictured below. Click the link that says “Zoom: Professional Education.”
Step 3: Locate the join Zoom link
Find the “Join” button After clicking “Zoom Professional Education” you should see the name of your course, with a button to the right that says “Join.”
Step 4: Join the meeting
Click “Join” and when prompted, click “Open Zoom Meeting."
Step 5: Join with audio
Click “Join with Computer Audio”
Step 6: Start your video
Click the “Start Video” link/icon in the bottom left corner.